My LA2050 Activation Challenge
The My LA2050 Activation Challenge is an open call for ideas to activate 100,000 Angelenos to make Los Angeles the best place to learn, create, play, connect, and live.
A total of $1M will be awarded to five organizations—one per goal category—to implement their ideas to engage Angelenos. Each organization will receive a total of $200,000 over two years to support their efforts. The activations should aim to engage Angelenos to make a specific, tangible impact on one of the LA2050 goals and metrics by 2020. The activations can use a variety of engagement strategies to create progress, including but not limited to policy advocacy, community organizing, volunteering, buycotts/boycotts, digital activism, or use of civic tech.
LA2050 will commit to a two-year partnership with the winning organizations, leveraging our resources, assets, and networks to help the activations succeed. Together, the winning organizations, LA2050, and Angelenos will produce five major wins for the region that will change the course of our future.
To preview the application form by goal category, click here. The scorecard to evaluate your proposal is also available here. Please be sure to sign up for our newsletter to stay informed of any updates.
Applicants are encouraged to:
- Think boldly and creatively about the proposed activation
- Ensure that the activation creates clear and accessible engagement pathways for Angelenos
- Consider the varied methods of engaging communities. Engagement opportunities may include, but are not limited to: policy advocacy, volunteering, participating in political processes, trainings, consumer-driven efforts like buycotts and boycotts, digital activism, creation or implementation of new technology to drive engagement.
- If your organization plans to engage in any activities that would constitute lobbying for tax law purposes, please be sure to provide an allocated budget with your application. LA2050 can only fund the non-lobbying portion of your project budget.
How to participate in the My LA2050 Activation Challenge
- Have a look at the full application questions and scorecard
- Visit the entry system via activation.la2050.org or directly here
- Register or log into your account
- Name your application and invite collaborators on the left pane of your application page
- Put together your application. Be sure to highlight the impact on the goals and metrics you’ve selected, explain the strategies you’ll use to activate, and keep in mind the challenge rules
- The application is presented in the form of a checklist. Make sure mark as complete all the steps as you finish them.
- Your application is not submitted until you click on submit application and see a pop-up message that says your application has been submitted. You’ll also receive an automated email confirming your submission. You cannot edit your application after submission. If you’ve made an error, please get in touch with us at email@example.com.
- Once you’re done, be sure to download your submission so you can keep it on file
- We’ll contact you with updates about your application and you can always log back into the system to see where your submission is in the process
- If you have any questions contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply between Thursday, March 1, 2018 (9am Pacific Time) and Friday, March 30, 2018 (5pm Pacific Time) on this website.
Your application will go through a moderation process to ensure that your project adheres to all challenge rules. Applications that make it through the initial vetting will be published on the My LA2050 Activation Challenge website on Monday, April 9, 2018 to allow the public to read about and engage with the proposals. An evaluation committee will review and score all applications and select 25 finalists which will be announced on Monday, May 21, 2018.
From Tuesday, June 19, 2018 (9am Pacific Time) through Friday, June 29, 2018 (5pm Pacific Time), we’ll open the finalists’ submissions to public voting. Rally your colleagues and friends to get behind your effort and join the public in selecting the winners. Winners will be announced on Monday, July 9, 2018.
View the full timeline.